Location: Sioux City, Iowa
The Machinist/CNC Operator is responsible for set up and operation of all equipment in the Machine Shop including both manual and CNC machines. The Machinist reports to the Shop Supervisor.
- Sets up the machine to perform the job by selecting appropriate tooling and inserting on machine using hand tools.
- Accurately enter time and quantity completed into the business computer system.
- Positions guides, stops, holding blocks or other fixtures to secure the direct work piece, using hand tools and measuring device.
- Scribes reference lines on work piece as guide for milling/drilling operations according to blueprints, templates, sample parts, or specifications.
- Turns controls to set cutting speed, feed rate and table/head angle for specified operation.
- Turns valves to start flow of coolant against cutting area.
- Reads blueprint for specifications, such as materials to be used and dimensions and tolerances.
- Replaces defective tooling using appropriate hand tools.
- Measures completed work piece to verify conformance to specifications, using micrometers, gauges, calipers, templates, or rulers.
- Places work piece in chuck or on table, manually or using hoist, and clamps work piece into position.
- Sharpens dulled tooling using bench grinder or abrasive wheel.
- Examines completed work pieces for defects such as chipped edges and marred surfaces, and sorts defective pieces according to defect.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Two years shop experience.
Skills: Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, benefits, repair and maintenance. The ability to program CNC machines and knowledge of blueprints, drawings and models. Knowledge of mathematics. The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull and carry objects. The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach out with the body, arms, and/or legs. Using hands and arms in handling, installing, forming, positioning, and moving materials or in manipulating things such as hand tools and hoist.
Requirements: Operator must work in a safe manner and must have a safe work record. Safety must be the first and foremost concern as these machines are capable of great bodily harm.
Company Expectations of Employee
JOB KNOWLEDGE [Employee has skills to complete their duties and understand their new role]
QUALITY OF WORK [Employee’s output is accurate, complete, and works in a safe manner]
QUANTITY OF WORK [Employee is effective and efficient with their time; while meeting deadlines]
RELATIONSHIPS [Employee works well with the team/customers and fits our ‘ownership’ culture]
INITIATIVE [Employee is self‐motivated and shows interest in adding value beyond job description]
A plant floor environment.
How to Apply
Do you think you’d make an excellent fit for Besser Company and enjoy all the beauty that Alpena, Michigan has to offer? Please forward your resume to:
Besser Company World Headquarters
Attn: Human Resources, Hiring
801 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707 USA