Location: Alpena, Michigan
Mechanical Engineer – Engineering Liaison
This position is responsible for the mechanical design, development, and improvements of new or existing products. A liaison engineer works with manufacturing departments, quality control, purchasing, inventory control, and sales as the engineering point of contact. It requires a strong focus on process improvement, communication, and streamlining the path from engineering to manufacturing. The Mechanical Engineer – Engineering Liaison reports to Director of IT & Engineering.
- Originates and/or develops designs for products relating to defined project specifications.
- Creates mechanical models and drawings of product lines.
- Creates mechanical bill-of-materials for product design.
- Consult with engineers on models, design, and drawings.
- Evaluates and resolves technical feasibility, design evaluation/optimization, and production issues.
- Creates machine module lists.
- Responsible for meeting project costs/margins and target release dates.
- Understands lean manufacturing concepts and initiates process improvements to improve efficiency and reduce costs.
- Review and monitor engineering standards are maintained on models and drawings.
- Advising purchasing on engineering related requests.
- Assist with determining correct replacement or alternate components for parts on machines.
- Identifies all purchased part needs to support mfg. builds.
- Attend design review meeting, provide input, distribute key notes from meeting to attendees.
- Primary point of contact for engineering related quality control requests from manufacturing.
- Support manufacturing assembly employees on equipment build, testing, and debugging processes.
- Create necessary documentation for engineered products.
- Assist with gathering information from sales to complete projects.
- Communicate updates to stakeholders on engineering projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering preferred or bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years relevant experience.
Experience: Seven years of industry-related experience. Three years’ experience in SolidWorks.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to clearly develop ideas in the form of working models and drawings. Must be familiar with a variety of manufacturing processes, materials, programming software, business systems, and Microsoft Office software programs. Strong verbal and written communications skills.
Responsibilities: Requires occasional travel.
Company Expectations of Employee
JOB KNOWLEDGE [Employee has skills to complete their duties and understand their new role]
QUALITY OF WORK [Employee’s output is accurate, complete, and works in a safe manner]
QUANTITY OF WORK [Employee is effective and efficient with their time; while meeting deadlines]
RELATIONSHIPS [Employee works well with the team/customers and fits our ‘ownership’ culture]
INITIATIVE [Employee is self‐motivated and shows interest in adding value beyond job description]
Manufacturing production floor and office environment.
How to Apply
Do you think you’d make an excellent fit for Besser Company and enjoy all the beauty that Alpena, Michigan has to offer? Please forward your resume to:
Besser Company World Headquarters
Attn: Human Resources, Hiring
801 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707 USA