Department: Human Resources
Location: Alpena, Michigan
Occupational Health & Safety Specialist
Collects data on safety, health, and environmental matters in the workplace to evaluate potential hazards of the workplace and to ensure safety regulations are in place. Implements and conducts evaluation of programs designed to eliminate physical, chemical, and ergonomic risks to workers. Ensures company compliance to government rules at the local, state, and federal level. The Occupational Health & Safety Specialist reports to the Director of Human Resources.
Accountability: Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
Honesty/Integrity: Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
Respect: Maintains a positive and respectful attitude.
Loyal : The trait of feeling a duty to the employer.
Relationship/Consensus Building: Ability to effectively build relationships with customers and co-workers and bring about group solidarity to achieve a goal.
Time Management: Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
Tolerance: Ability to work successfully with a variety of people without making judgments.
Attendance: Strives for perfect attendance and commits to report to work on time.
- Inspect, test, and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, and practices to ensure safety standards and government regulations are followed.
- Provide solutions to fix hazardous and potentially hazardous conditions or equipment.
- Educate employees about workplace safety and demonstrate correct use of safety equipment.
- Investigate incidents and accidents to identify what caused them and how they might be prevented in the future.
- Maintain inventory of medical supplies and personal protective equipment.
- Evaluate situations or make determinations when an employee has refused to work on the grounds that danger or potential harm exists.
- Prepare and maintain all required records and documentation.
- Prepare and communicate company incident statistics.
- Maintain emergency action program and conduct related response drills.
- Maintains the safety data sheets.
- Organizes and conducts safety training and new employee orientation training.
- Lead the safety committees and conduct monthly corporate safety team meetings.
- Monitors and verifies adherence to all policies. Assesses new developments in health and safety field that may have application to the company’s operations.
- Establishes target areas and long-range accident prevention and cost-control objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety and Training or Associates Degree and OSHT Certification.
Experience: Two years of experience in the field of safety.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communications skills. Good organizational skills. Must be able to multi-task and work well under pressure and with deadlines. Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills. Competent computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs.
Requirements: Knowledge of government health and safety policies and regulations. Willing and able to travel.
N (Not Applicable) not applicable to this occupation
O (Occasionally) up to 33% of the time (0- 2.5 hours per day)
F (Frequently) 33% to 66% of the time (2.5 to 5.5 hours per day)
C (Constantly) more than 66% of the day (5.5 hrs)
|Reach Above Shoulders||O|
|Squat or Kneel||O|
|10 lbs or less||O|
|Over 100 lbs||N|
|12 lbs or less||O|
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Color, Peripheral, Depth Perception)
An office environment in a controlled atmospheric building.
How to Apply
Do you think you’d make an excellent fit for Besser Company and enjoy all the beauty that Alpena, Michigan has to offer? Please forward your resume to:
Besser Company World Headquarters
Attn: Janet Behnke, Corporate Human Resources Director
801 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707 USA