Location: Alpena, Michigan
The Saw Operator is responsible for set up and operation of the saw machine to cut straight, curved, or circular patterns in steel stock. The Saw Operator reports to the Shop Supervisor.
- Sets up the machine to perform the job by selecting blade and inserting appropriate blade according to specifications and inserting on machine using hand tools.
- Locate materials in racks according to saw list. Pull materials using forklift when necessary and load onto saw. Return left over materials to proper rack and notify scheduler of amount.
- Positions guides, stops, holding blocks or other fixtures to secure the direct work piece, using hand tools and measuring device.
- Scribes reference lines on work piece as guide for sawing operations according to blueprints, templates, sample parts, or specifications.
- Turns controls to set cutting speed, feed rate and table angle for specified operation.
- Sets blade tension, height, and angle to perform prescribed cut.
- Turns valves to start flow of coolant against cutting area and to start air flow which blows cuttings away from kerf.
- Reads work order for specifications, such as materials to be used, location of cutting lines, and dimensions and tolerances.
- Replaces defective blades using appropriate hand tools.
- Measures completed work piece to verify conformance to specifications, using micrometers, gauges, calipers, templates, or rulers.
- Places work piece on cutting table, manually or using hoist, and clamps work piece into position.
- Sharpens dulled blades using bench grinder, abrasive wheel, or lathe.
- Examines completed work pieces for defects such as chipped edges and marred surfaces, and sorts defective pieces according to defect.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Two years shop experience.
Skills: Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, benefits, repair and maintenance. Knowledge of blueprints, drawings and models. Knowledge of mathematics. The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull and carry objects. The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach out with the body, arms, and/or legs. Using hands and arms in handling, installing, forming, positioning, and moving materials or in manipulating things such as hand tools and hoist.
Requirements: Operator must work in a safe manner and must have a safe work record. Safety must be the first and foremost concern as these machines are capable of great bodily harm.
Company Expectations of Employee
JOB KNOWLEDGE [Employee has skills to complete their duties and understand their new role]
QUALITY OF WORK [Employee’s output is accurate, complete, and works in a safe manner]
QUANTITY OF WORK [Employee is effective and efficient with their time; while meeting deadlines]
RELATIONSHIPS [Employee works well with the team/customers and fits our ‘ownership’ culture]
INITIATIVE [Employee is self‐motivated and shows interest in adding value beyond job description]
A plant floor environment.
How to Apply
Do you think you’d make an excellent fit for Besser Company and enjoy all the beauty that Alpena, Michigan has to offer? Please forward your resume to:
Besser Company World Headquarters
Attn: Human Resources, Hiring
801 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707 USA