Material Handling Technician
Location: Alpena, Michigan
Works under the general direction of supervisor or leader following standard practices. Responsible for seeing that correct parts and quantities are shipped, also signs and dates all appropriate documentation. Reasonable care must be used in handling and packaging parts to avoid damage. Generally responsible for self with regard to safety practices. Must use caution when using foaming machine.
Understands blueprints, picking and packing lists and receivers. Ability to use hand and power tools and other tools incidental to operations. Operate foam packing machine. Use bench and floor type weighing scales. Must have knowledge of loading and unloading equipment. Must have a working knowledge of the receiving and stock parameters of the integrated business system. Must be able to perform all necessary layout work involving movement, loading or unloading of all heavy machinery and equipment. Must have knowledge of use of cable slings, chains and other lifting devices together with knowledge of various hookups and movements, a knowledge of blocking and tying down material loaded on trucks. Must be able to contruct skids including selecting appropriate materials.
1. Fills interplant and customer orders as well as loading and unloading materials to inside and outside warehouses.
2. Works with stock pick lists, shop receiving documents and vendor receiving documentation performing the necessary transactions.
3. Performs daily cycle counts and assists in annual inventory checks.
4. Uses the integrated business system to manage stock locations.
5. Tags purchased and manufactured parts with the proper Besser part number.
6. Prepares parts for domestic or export shipments while conforming to shipping specifications, regulations and requirements.
7. Measures, cuts and assembles shipping boxes and crates using power and hand tools provided.
8. Works with wood, paper and paperboard, hardboard, waterproof paper and various packing materials including foam.
9. Checks product to be shipped against shipping order to insure proper amounts, identification and correct materials are shipped.
10. Weigh containers using either bench or floor scales for shipping weights.
11. Uses tools and handling equipment necessary to perform job.
1. Assisting the rigger loader in the car end loading area when required.
2. May be required to operate other machines or perform other secondary duties while performing primary duties.
3. Actively pursues process improvement.
4. Support lean manufacturing initiatives.
1. Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Experience: Knowledge of storeroom, receiving and shipping procedures. Familiarity with power and hand tools used. Qualified on jeeps and cranes and hazardous material training. At least one month of job experience for qualification.
Normal shop conditions. Some exposure to dirt, oily, or greasy parts, dust, and exposure to weather conditions. Proper safety techniques must be used to avoid possibility of cuts and bruises from handling parts, cuts from power saws, and exposure to harmful vapors from chemicals of foam machine and splatter.
How to Apply
Do you think you’d make an excellent fit for Besser Company? Please forward your resume to:
Besser Company World Headquarters
Attn: Janet Behnke, Corporate Human Resources Director
801 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707 USA